Have you ever wondered how big our home, Earth, really is? It’s easy to forget just how grand and unique our planet is when we’re busy with our daily routines. But once you start to understand the Earth’s dimensions and compare them to other celestial objects, you realize that we live on a truly extraordinary planet.
The Earth is like a giant ball with a diameter of approximately 7,918 miles (12,742 kilometers). If you were to walk around the equator, you’d have to travel a whopping 24,901 miles (40,075 kilometers)! While Earth might seem massive to us, it’s unique in its size compared to the rest of the Solar System. For example:
One of the unique things about Earth is that it’s a “water world.” Almost 71% of our planet’s surface is covered by oceans, while the remaining 29% is land. Here are some interesting facts about Earth’s land and water:
Earth’s atmosphere is another aspect of our planet that sets it apart. It’s a protective layer of gases that shields us from harmful solar radiation and meteoroids. The atmosphere also plays a crucial role in regulating Earth’s temperature, making it habitable.
Be the first to get exclusive offers and the latest news