Have you ever wondered about the size of a coffee bean? These little seeds are the source of one of the world’s most beloved beverages, coffee. Even though they’re small, coffee beans have a big impact on our everyday lives. They also come in different sizes and shapes depending on their variety.
On average, a coffee bean is about 10 millimeters long and has a width of around 6 millimeters. To put this in perspective, if you were to line up ten average-sized coffee beans end to end, they would be about as long as a credit card.
There are two main varieties of coffee beans: Arabica and Robusta. Arabica beans are the most popular worldwide and make up about 60% of all coffee production. They are oval-shaped and a bit larger, usually measuring between 9 and 11 millimeters. The other 40% of coffee production comes from Robusta beans, which are rounder and smaller, usually measuring between 6.5 and 8.5 millimeters.
Coffee cherries, the fruit the beans come from, usually contain two beans. However, about 10% to 15% of the time, a coffee cherry will contain only one bean. This is called a “peaberry,” and it’s a bit smaller than other coffee beans. Peaberries are round and tend to be about 5 millimeters in size. Some coffee connoisseurs believe that peaberries have a more intense flavor due to their unique shape and size.
You might be wondering if a coffee bean’s size affects its taste. While the size itself might not have a direct impact, the variety of the bean certainly does. Arabica beans tend to have a smoother, more complex flavor, while Robusta beans have a stronger, more bitter taste. The smaller peaberries are considered by some to have a more concentrated flavor.
While small in size, coffee beans certainly pack a punch when it comes to their influence on our daily lives. They fuel our mornings, power our afternoons, and come in such varieties that there’s a flavor for every palate. The next time you enjoy a cup of coffee, take a moment to think about the tiny beans that made it all possible.
Be the first to get exclusive offers and the latest news